Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tips For Girls With Curls

Today I'm coming to you with some tips on how to make the most of naturally curly hair.  While some of us see our hair as not so great, many ladies often tell me I'm very fortunate to have curls.  If your anything like me and were raised by a mother who was a tomboy then you've probably had to learn the hard way about fixing your hair.  I have most definitely had trouble with my hair, be it from out of control frizz, to just finding ways to get it straight without looking like something from a horror movie.  


Ever Get a round brush stuck in your hair?  It is not pleasant..Alright ladies let's start with tips on working what God gave you:

1.  Use a Shampoo and Conditioner that is suited for your hair type. 

If you have naturally curly hair that is color treated then you need to be using products suited for color treated hair.  Naturally curly hair is already more coarse by nature so if you add chemical services every 4-8 weeks to that equation your hair needs a gentle cleanse and a moisturizing conditioner.  Sulfate Free products are my number one choice.  I believe they cleanse without stripping the hair plus they are gentle on the scalp and follicle because the don't use the harsh sulfates that alot of products use.  The products I currently use are Abba Pure Performance Hair Care Color Protection  Shampoo and Conditioner.  Another line I love is the Moroccan Oil Line, including the leave in serum.  If your hair is not color treated I would still recommend sulfate free, because I'm all about avoiding chemicals. 


2. Use a Deep conditioning treatment at least once a week. 

Our hair tends to see more abuse then we realize.  Whether it be from styling, over exposure to the sun and pollution, or just lack of proper care.   The lines I mentioned above are what I would recommend for this as well.

3.  Don't over-wash your hair.

Most people think they need to wash their hair everyday.  This can actually do more harm then good. If your not getting soaked with sweat or dunking your head in mud I would suggest shampooing once every 2-3 days.  Some of you may even want to go for longer..but that can vary from person to person based on how oily or dry your scalp tends to be.  I know nobody wants to walk around with greasy hair. So use your own discretion with this one.

4.  Let your hair dry Naturally and avoid over-touching your curls.

What works for me is after I've lightly towel dried my hair I use a large tooth comb and get out any tangles and then apply my styling products which at the moment are the It's a 10 Miracle Oil plus keratin and some styling lotion.  I've found that a good natural body butter actually works really well if applied lightly.  If you prefer a mouse or gel that's fine, just try to find one that's alchol free.  I've not had luck finding one that didn't contain that in the ingredients plus I prefer a soft curl to a crunchy one.

5.  If you must blow dry use an diffuser and blow dry with your head upside down.

If you really are crunched for time this is the best way to go about styling with a dryer.  If you turn off the dryer when your hair is about 80% dry you will run less of a risk of dealing with frizz.   You can also add a bit of shine spray and that will help smooth the cuticle a bit.  I like the Aquage Beyond Shine Spray.

If all else fails or you feel like your hair is still being difficult I would suggest taking a look at your diet and considering if your hairstyle is best suited for your hair type.
 Some medication including certain forms of birth control can be not so great on your hair. Also a lack of proper water intake.  People tend to forget but exercise is great for your hair too, because it increases blood flow to your scalp.
   You may consider looking into a supplement like Omega 3's, and flax seed.  There is also Biotin, Gelatin, and the trusty Hair Skin and Nail supplements. 

I hope you all have enjoyed reading my tips.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.  While I am not a licensed hair dresser I have made an effort to really ask questions to professionals and do research about products and ingredients before I buy anything.
Next week I'll post tips for getting those curls silky and straight.

Be sure to head over to Breanna's page and enter in the giveaway.  There is 24 great prizes listed from great blogs including a necklace from my store. http://mybeautifulcrazylifex33.blogspot.com/2012/07/celebrationjuly-group-giveaway-bash.html
                                                      Happy Tuesday Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the Moroccan oil products yet but I keep hearing about them. I love Ouidad products for curly hair. I don't love the way they smell but they work really well on my ringlets. Next time it is time to stock up on my supplies I am going to check out the products you shared.
    Thanks, friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen they are really wonderful. I'm super picky and I've tried tons of stuff but I really love the products I mentioned. I never tried the Ouidad but I read some about them. When you get a chance to try the Moroccan oil let me know if you like it. A little goes a long way. Your welcome friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete