Friday, November 16, 2012

Facing Fears

We all have something we have to face sooner rather then later that is scary.  I have dealt with fear and anxiety on a daily basis since I was a young child.  Some days I wake up feeling like I could conquer the world, while others I wake up and everything scares me.  Simple tasks like going to the store for groceries, or meeting a friend in a crowded place takes maximum coaxing .  It's not something I'm proud of, in fact I'd say that fear is a big reason I missed out on certain opportunities in my life.  But I have learned ways to cope with it, and I know that I'm not alone in my struggle. If I were to dig deep and specify the reason for my anxiety and fear I'm not sure I could.  Some people might say it's a result of being witness to so much physical and emotional abuse as a child.  I know in my heart that I've worked through alot of the residue of past abuse, and while some things stay with you longer then others I know that Jesus is still working on the parts that do not work 100% just yet.

My hope is that if you deal with anxiety or fear that you'll know your not some freak of nature, that your not alone, and that there are ways to deal without medicine.   While prayer has been my best method of overcoming, Exercise, deep breathing, and talking about it is also very beneficial.  I've learned to communicate openly about it to people, because it clears up misconceptions. 
I've also learned to spot "triggers" or things that seem to bring on panic attacks and extreme emotion.  More often then not I will make compromises with myself.  For instance; I know that a major trigger for me is events where there will be a large group of people gathered, so if it's something I feel I need to attend I'll say to myself  "Okay I'm going but I will limit my time there to one hour, and if at anytime I feel unsafe or uncomfortable beyond a reasonable point I will leave."   With time and persistence I've come to see that things I fear have become less scary and easier to face with this method. 

If you know someone who is dealing with anxiety I would encourage you to be a good listener.  Sometimes it's hard to relate to what someone is going through when it's not an issue we personally deal with.  But I think part of being a good friend is being able to listen.  None of us are perfect, but the best way to help someone is to be there for them, to speak words of encouragement, and to love them.  If you feel comfortable praying with them, then offer to do so.  There is a peace that comes from prayer that I could never justify with words.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phillipians 4:7)

I take things one day at a time, and it is my hope that one day the "perfect peace" that is speaks about in scripture will be my peace everyday.


Thank you all so much for your friendship, and for your time.  I hope you'll come by again soon. 
                                                        Happy Friday Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment